Monday, March 15, 2021

March 13, 2021: JH - The "I's" Have It

 Host: Jan Hunsinger (JH)

Date: March 13, 2021

Spotlight Theme: The "I's" Have It - songs with "I" in the title

Rockin' Remnants is broadcast from WVBR-FM Ithaca. Check out our webpage, like us on Facebook, and tune in to 93.5 or stream the show every Saturday night from 6-9pm! (Or download the WVBR+ app now available for iOS and Android!)

Thanks to our sponsors Island Health & Fitness and Rasa Spa for their support every week!


Playlist



·     songs with * were requests
·     all chart information comes from the Billboard Top 100 (for chart dates before/during July 1958) or Billboard Hot 100 (for chart dates during/after Aug 1958) unless otherwise noted
·     a glossary of terms is below the playlist


OPENING THEME:  Good Old Rock ‘n’ Roll – Cat Mother & the All-Night Newsboys (1969 - #29: produced by Jimi 
Hendrix)

I Can Hear Music - The Beach Boys (1969 - #24: their cover of The Ronettes song that charted at #100 in 1966)



I Am Woman - Helen Reddy (1972 - #1: Monday March 8th was International Woman's Day; song won the Australian singer a Grammy for Female Pop Vocal)

I Ain't Got Time Anymore - The Glass Bottle (1971 - #36: one-hit wonder for the pop group from New Jersey)



I Am... I Said - Neil Diamond (1971 - #4: intensely personal song from his Stones LP)



I Can Make It With You - The Pozo-Seco Singers (1966 - #32: first Top 40 hit for the trio from Corpus Christy, Texas; the song was written by Chip Taylor, who also wrote "Angel of the Morning" and is Jon Voight's brother)



I Can't Get Next to You - The Temptations (1969 - #1:Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong wrote this hit for the group, their second #1)



I Can't Stay Mad at You - Skeeter Davis (1963 - #7: Carole King and Gerry Goffin wrote this girl-group hit for country artist Davis)

I Had a Dream - Paul Revere/Raiders (1967 - #17: vocalist Mark Lindsay co-wrote the song with Doris Day's son, Terry Melcher)



I Know a Place - Petula Clark (1965 - #3: her follow-up to "Downtown", and second consecutive Top Ten hit)



I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash (1956 - #17: Johnny's humming before each line was his way to get the pitch for the frequent key changes; #30/RS500)

I Should Have Known Better - The Beatles (1964 - #53: from the movie "A Hard Day's Night" and the flip side of the single)



I Can't Let Go - The Hollies (1966 - #42: co-written by Chip Taylor, Eve Sands recorded the song in 1965 but it did not chart; Linda Ronstadt's version would chart at #31 in 1980)



I Know a Heartache When I See One - Jennifer Warnes (1979 - #19: song made the Top Ten on the C & W charts)

I Woke Up in Love This Morning - The Partridge Family (1971 - #13: from the family group's third LP)

45 Corner

Do I Love You? - The Ronettes (1964 - #34: from their first LP; and dig those beehive hairdos!)


I Sold My Heart to the Junkman - The Blue-Belles (1962 - #15: there is some debate as to who actually appears on this record - Chicago's group The Starlets or Philadelphia's Ordettes, led by Patti LaBelle, but the Ordettes, re-christened the Blue-Belles, promoted the song; Bruce Springsteen covered it in some of his early live shows)



I Want Candy - The Strangeloves (1965 - #11:  although the Strangeloves were said to be Australian sheep farmers Giles, Miles, and Niles Strange, they were really writers/producers Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein, and Richard Gottehrer who also wrote "My Boyfriend's Back")



I Like It - Gerry and the Pacemakers (1964 - #17: song went to #1 in the UK for the Liverpool group)

Birthday Calendar:

March 7:
Chris White (The Zombies) - 78
Arthur Lee (Love) - born 1945
Matthew Fisher (Procol Harum keyboardist) - 75

March 8:
Mickey Dolenz (The Monkees) - 76
Randy Meisner (Poco; The Eagles) - 75
Little Peggy March (Margaret Battavio) - 73

March 9:
Lloyd Price - 88
Mark Lindsay - 79
Gary Walker (Leeds) - 79

March 10:
Dean Torrence (Jan & Dean) - 81
Tom Scholz (Boston) - 74

March 11:
Mark Stein (Vanilla Fudge) - 74

March 12:
James Taylor - 73

March 13:
Mike Stoller - 88
Erma Franklin - born 2002
Neil Sedaka - 82

I Love You - The Zombies (1965 - DNC: Chris White wrote this song that would be a hit for the group People that recorded it note for note in 1968)

Alone Again Or - Love (1970 - #99: Alvin Lee was lead guitarist for one of the first multi-racial rock groups; song ranks #436/RS500)



Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum (1967 - #5: Matthew Fisher played Hammond organ on the song whose melody was based on the Bach cantata "Sleepers Awake"; #57/RS500)

As We Go Along - The Monkees (1968 - #106: song was co-written by Carole King and the flip side of the Theme from "Head" (The Porpoise Song); Mickey Dolenz said that the changing time signatures made the song difficult to sing)



Try and Love Again - The Eagles (1976 - NR: Randy Meisner wrote and sang lead on this song from their classic LP Hotel California)

I Wish I Were a Princess - Little Peggy March (1963 - #32:  follow-up to her #1 hit, "I Will Follow Him", for which she still holds the record of youngest artist with a #1 hit [14 years old])



I'm Gonna Get Married - Lloyd Price (1959 - #3: Price co-wrote the song that was #1 on the R&B charts for 3 weeks; follow-up to his signature song, "Personality")

Miss America - Mark Lindsay (1970 - #44: solo effort from Paul Revere and the Raiders' lead singer, although he did not officially leave the band until 1975; allegorical song about America, not the beauty pageant)



No Regrets - The Walker Brothers (1976 - DNC: Gary Walker was the drummer of the group who convinced the rest to go to the UK in the mid-60s to find success and he was right; this song charted at #7 in the UK)



I Found a Girl - Jan & Dean (1965 - #30: written by P.F. Sloan and Steve Barri, the song was a bigger hit in Canada [#2]; difficult to capture the duo's mid-60s popularity in a few lines, many think it criminal they are not in the Rock'n'Roll HOF)

More Than a Feeling - Boston (1976 - #5: Tom Scholz literally created Boston in his basement, playing all of the instruments except drums; #500/RS500)



Take Me for a Little While - Vanilla Fudge (1968 - #38: Mark Stein was lead singer/keyboardist for the group; a version by Evie Sands charted at #114 in 1965)



Carolina in My Mind - James Taylor (1970 - #67: original version of the song recorded at Apple Records when JT was feeling homesick; the re-recorded version for his 1976 Greatest Hits LP is the one most people know)



Searchin' - The Coasters (1957 - #3: one of many great Lieber and Stoller songs, this one put the Coasters, already known as an R & B act, on the pop charts)

Piece of My Heart - Erma Franklin (1967 - #62: Big Brother and the Holding Company featuring Janis Joplin would take the song to #12 in 1968, but Aretha Franklin's older sister recorded it first)

Bad Blood - Neil Sedaka (1975 - #1: co-written by Sedaka, the song spent 3 weeks at #1; with backing vocals by Elton John)



I Want You - Bob Dylan (1966 - #20: the last song recorded for Dylan's classic LP Blonde On Blonde)



I Need You - America (1972 - #9: the group's follow-up to "A Horse With No Name")



I Love You - The Volume's (1962 - #22: one-hit wonder for the R&B doo-wop group out of Detroit)

I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - Elvis Presley (1956 - #1: the producer merged two of 17 takes to get the single after a near plane crash before the rushed recording session disconcerted Elvis)

I Thank You - Sam & Dave (1968 - #9: song was co-written by Isaac Hayes and was the duo's last for Stax Records)



I Don't Want to be Hurt Anymore - Nat 'King' Cole (1964 - #22: one of the legendary singers' last hits before his early death)

I Knew You When - Billy Joe Royal (1965 - #14: written by Joe South, the song went to #1 in Canada)

I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight? - Boyce & Hart (1968 - #8: Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart wrote, produced, and sang this Top Ten hit)



I Wonder Why - Dion & the Belmonts (1958 - #22: the group's first national chart hit was also the first single for Laurie Records)

I Started a Joke - The Bee Gees (1969 - #6: although the song went to #1 in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, it was not released as a single in the trio's native UK)



This I Swear - The Skyliners (1959 - #26: the Pittsburgh group's follow-up to "Since I Don't Have You")



I Want You to be My Girl - The Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon (1956 - #13: Lymon received top billing in 1957 which led to a break-up with the group)

I Only Want to be With You - Dusty Springfield (1964 - #12: her first single as solo artist made Dusty the second act of the British Invasion)



I Just Can't Help Believing - BJ Thomas (1970 - #9: Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil wrote the song that did not chart for Bobby Vee when released in 1969)


*One Fine Morning - Lighthouse (1971 - #24: song went to #2 in the jazz-rock group's native Canada)



CLOSING THEME:  Sleepwalk – Santo & Johnny (1959 - #1 for two weeks)

dnc = did not chart
nr = not released as a single at the time
AC = Billboard’s chart for “Adult Contemporary” records
BB = Billboard Magazine, which publishes the Hot 100 chart (previously known as the Top 100), along with several other charts
Bubbling Under = songs that were ranked but fell below the top 100
C&W = Billboard’s chart for “Country & Western” records
R&B = Billboard’s chart for “Rhythm & Blues” records
RRHOF = Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
RS500 = Rolling Stone Magazine’s ranked list of the top 500 singles of all-time


Host March 20, 2021: Kim Vaughan (KV)  


Thanks for tuning in! You can listen to Rockin' Remnants every Saturday night from 6-9pm on WVBR (93.5 FM in Ithaca, NY) or streaming here




Thanks again to our sponsors Island Health & Fitness and Rasa Spa for their support every week!

No comments:

Post a Comment